Over the 650 years that a chapel has existed on this site many people have left their mark on the building. Ministers, chapel officers, civic leaders, mill owners, craftsmen and local gentlemen have contributed to the heritage that we have today. It testifies to their beliefs, their skill, their generosity and their devotion.
Very few pieces of evidence have survived from the old timber framed chapel which was demolished in 1740. Apart from the bottom of the tower there is nothing of its late medieval origins. Most of the records concerning the church survive in the collections in the museum, town hall and the record office in Chester.
The builders of 1740-42 saved a few memorials from the old chapel: those of James Starkey and his wife, and of Lucy Vernon. It is not known what their connection was to the chapel, but there is stork badge of the Starkeys on the front pew in the main aisle.
The people remembered here have varying connections with St Peter`s church. They represent a very small selection from the many people who have contributed to the life of the church and the town. Some were volunteer office holders in the church, some funded the building`s development, others sat in the pews. Three were ministers with a hundred and one years of ministry between them, from 1698 to 1868. Among them are mill owners, mayors, aldermen, a brick maker, a transport manager, a soldier diplomat, a surgeon and three whose property provided sufficient income for no kind of trade or profession to be needed.