Completed Restoration

This was followed by major work to replace the roof with new slates and timbers, repair stonework and brickwork and replace all the rainwater goods which was completed in 2014.

This was supported by many in the church and community who purchased slates and inscribed the undersides in memory of loved ones or to commemorate a baptism or marriage. These slates now form part of the roof of Congleton’s town church and the record of donations is available in a book kept in the church.

George Hayes – Mayor 2013-2014 wrote:

May this always be a place of faith and fellowship showing our Saviour’s love in the community. May God bless all of our community in Congleton and continue to draw us close to Him.

During the re-roofing many small cards were found at the East end inscribed with people’s names. We believe these to have been left when the church was previously re-roofed in 1959

Work on the tower pinnacles and restoration of the bell chamber grilles was completed in 2015. Inspection of and reports on the north and south gallery windows, the plaster ceiling and the significance of the woodwork in St. Peter’s were obtained in 2014-2016.

Work completed up to 2017 has cost some £386,500 funded by grants, fundraising, church reserves, VAT reclaims, and gifts from church members and the wider community.

These works show what might be possible and the large scale of any project to restore and develop the church building.