The 18th century marble font was put in place at about the same time as the reredos was being constructed, 1743. It was originally sited in its present position with a small pew beside it for the minister, according to the pew plan of the church dated 1765. The plan of 1839 and sketch of 1847 show it had migrated to the centre of the main aisle, just in front of the pulpit. Later it was placed in the west porch before finally returning to its starting position, in the late 19th century. The purpose of positioning the font near the main entrance was so that those people coming new to the church could be baptised or christened to identify themselves with the church family. The water of baptism represents the leaving behind of the past life and a commitment to God for the future.