William III coat of arms

The royal arms of William III dated 1701 were hung in the old timber-framed chapel, and transferred to the new brick building in 1743. After an attempt to assassinate the king in 1695 as he entered Windsor Park the minister of Congleton, along with many thousand others, swore an oath of loyalty to the king. Six years later the Corporation went a step further and placed the king`s coat of arms in the town chapel, making clear their allegiance to the Protestant king, William of Orange.