The present organ was built by Steele and Keay organ builders who flourished in Burslem for around 30 years from the end of the 19th century. They sought to build instruments which imitated the sound of the finest contemporary Harrison organs. Only two of their organs survive: at St Giles, Newcastle under Lyme, and here. This organ was rebuilt in 1911, incorporating several stops and pipework from the first organ with the original case in the centre of the present case. It was dedicated to an earlier organist, Samuel Crowther Eyre, who played here for over 50 years.
The first organ, built by Renn and Boston of Manchester at a cost of £1,000 in 1824, led to a change of focus in the use of the church. Under the title “A Selection of Music” (including a voluntary by Haydn, an anthem by Dr Clark and a chorus by Mozart) “A SERMON” was to be preached by the Rev Benjamin Vale from Stoke. Music was being used as an attraction to the key purpose of the 18th century builders – preaching. Although the organ is now in need of restoration it has been used to give concerts, most notably by Carlo Curly in 2010.
Listen to Christopher Cromar play Bach’s Toccata in D minor and Jesus Christ is risen today in MP3 files below.